Energy efficiency tip of the day (Steam system condensate return)
Problem case : The condensate return system is open to atmosphere.
- Hot condensate will travel in the direction of high pressure to low pressure.
- When the feed tank is vented to atmosphere, as the condensate enters the feed tank, it will flash to steam due to the sudden drop in pressure and the steam escapes through the vent to atmosphere.
- The steam and associated energy is lost.
Proposed corrective actions:
- Install properly designed steam traps to reduce the amount of steam lost through the open system.
- Install pressurized condensate return system to reduce flash steam losses.
- Insulate Condensate Storage Tanks.
Link for tip in PDF format